Bornean Wildlife for fx-pedition 2010

Sunday, 13 June 2010

Some natural history illustration for the fx-pedition to use in the educational content of their website. Most of them are endemic & endangered species, they were good fun to learn about before I started drawing them!

Sunbear
Sunda Clouded Leopard
Siamese Crocodile
Bornean Southern Gibbon
Mueller's Gibbon
Bornean Bay Cat
Black Hornbill
Bornean Orang-utan
Proboscis Monkey
Paradise Tree Snake
Blue-Eared Kingfisher

I struggled with the stylisation for them, though; I kept wanting to characterise & simplify more. You can tell the ones that I spent the longest with at sketch stage because they're the ones that are the most characterised & simple, as well as my favourites! My tutor liked them, but I got the idea he felt similarly to myself about natural history illustration not really being my calling in life. C'est la vie, I still had fun doing these & like most of them a lot anyway.

3 comments:

Ben said...

These are awesome! I especially like the top proboscis monkey, really nice drawing

Anonymous said...

very nice style. do oyu take sketch requests?

Cathy said...

I take sketch commissions if that's what you mean?