Gathering/Working & the London Book Fair

Saturday, 27 April 2013

This week I took my first professional opportunity to come out of not living in Cornwall, & popped along to the  London Book Fair with my folio.  I have to admit, I was honestly terrified on the way up there.  I'm not very shouty about my work, I love it & I need it, but I'm always apprehensive about showing it to 'professionals,' in case maybe they see I'm not an illustrator I'm actually a very immature woman with a lot of art materials.  So even deciding to go was quite a step!  What a wally I am, though, because I met some lovely inspiring illustrators & had some very positive feedback from agents & publishers!  By the end of the day I'd smiled so much my face hurt. So now I've rekindled the fire under my bum for drawing things, & with some good advice from people at the LBF I'm hoping to move my freelance work forward.  So just in time for the sunshine to be hitting the UK, I've sworn an oath to my studio & banished myself to working weekends.  Seeing the sun through my window excites me more for my work though, so it's a happy exile, believe me.

New drawing!




Probably a more 'personal' piece than my personal work usually is, I guess.  I'm (still) reading 'Women who Run with the Wolves' by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, which is generally a very affecting book but at the moment something there is particularly poignant.  So I'm searching for pieces of my wildish self, & reading & drawing & thinking a lot.  It's not a particularly tidy job, but it's worth it. 

And I really like drawing organs, despite the minefield that is googling up references.

xxx

0 comments: